Re: A Resonance Of Clouds [music from the Rack]

Hi Will !

As always, thank you for taking the time to review my tracks.

On 07/29/2018 02:24 PM, Will Godfrey wrote:

I often have difficulty getting into your work these days Dave, but on this
occasion I very much enjoyed it. Quite astonishing that it is self-generating.

Self-generating patches are kind of a thing with modular folk. Such patches can be quite complex, much more than mere monotonous drones.

Another post in this thread implied that there's a chance element to this patch. Indeed there is, but the patch itself is the result of many hours learning and testing module capabilities. IOW, a lot of listening and experimenting went into its creation before I was satisfied with it.

Learning to use VCV Rack has involved me in an odd combination of studies. Composition with a modular is decidedly different than working with a DAW, and the lack of presets means that all synth programming is pretty much from the ground up. [NB: Presets capabilities have been added to module design as of Rack-v1-dev.] I've had to reorganize my thinking in order to use effectively things like shift registers and sequential switches, not to mention having to get my mind around the implications and capabilities of the whole CV design. Some former training - in Csound especially - comes in handy, while other habits - think MIDI - aren't really very helpful. It's all been a lot of fun so far, and I believe I'm finally making some progress towards my short-term goal of basic patch mastery. :)

Best regards,

dp