Re: Jack - buffers V periods

a JACK or ALSA "period" is what almost everything on windows and MacOS calls a "buffer".

they do not have a term for what ALSA calls "a buffer" (the entire memory space available for audio i/o, typically mmapped into the using process' address space)

just about all modern audio interfaces use a double-buffer design. while the application writes/reads to one buffer, the hardware reads/writes from the other.