Re: Does jackd sits on top of ALSA ?

On Mon, 8 Jan 2018, jonetsu wrote:

I've been using jackd fro years and will not change.  I have a question
which is not important at all.. does jackd sits on top of ALSA or
besides it ?  In other words can a Linux audio system work with only
jackd ?  If not, what is the responsibility of ALSA in a system using
jackd ?

Jackd requires some sort of back end. Most of us use ALSA, but jackd can also use the ffado for firewire devices, or net for talking with a remote jackd. There is dummy backend that talks to nothing but provides sync and makes jackd feel like it has all it needs. Aside from the backend, jackd can talk with audio devices as clients. I know of four clients like this (there may be more) alsa_in and also_out which come with jackd allow jackd to talk to an audio device that may be out of sync with it's backend, zita-ajbridge is similar but features better quality with less cpu use. Zita-njbridge connects jackd over the net to another jackd. The last one I know are a set of utilities that allow jackd to be connected over the network to an AVB box.

I am sure I have not covered everything...

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net