Re: Bye Bye 32 bit

On Thu, Dec 28, 2017 at 2:11 PM, Jeremy Henty <onepoint@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Will Godfrey wrote:

> If I've understood that correctly you  can also ensure that they are
> also on the same socket, which apparently improves memory access.

I think  this is what  is meant  by NUMA (Non-Uniform  Memory access).

​AFAIK, NUMA is dead for everything except a few research systems.

Parallel/multi-processor systems these days are all "symmetric" (all processors have symmetrical access to all memory).

NUMA is really, really, really  hard to get right. Why? Cache invalidation. Several companies, organizations, etc. have tried. Last time I looked (and it has been a while, but I was quite involved with this stuff in the mid 1990s), everybody failed.​