Re: firewire-thunderbolt adapter?

On 10/08/2017 09:31 PM, David Kastrup wrote:
david <gnome-4S9g3957RhF54TAoqtyWWQ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

I've been poking around on Amazon. The consensus of reviewers seems to
that USB-C to Firewire adapters don't work and simply cannot
work. Including a review by an electrical engineer.

I found this USB<>ExpressCard adaptor:

https://www.amazon.com/SIIG-USB-to-ExpressCard-JU-EP0012-S1/dp/B001KUOW9O/ref=sr_1_29?ie=UTF8&qid=1507524480&sr=8-29&keywords=firewire+to+usb+adapter

Don't bother.  "Add support for USB-based ExpressCard devices to any USB
equipped computer" is actually a lot more explicit than many of those
cards bother telling, and it means that they work fine for WWAN cards
(UMTS Modem and such), Smartcard readers and reasonably cheap (all but
the fastest) flash device reader cards.  An Expresscard slot provides
both a PCIx lane and a USB connection.  This adapter will only provide
the USB connection.  That's not sufficient for a Firewire adapter.

IIRC, the original poster had a Firewire ExpressCard and was looking
for a laptop with an ExpressCard port. Maybe this would work for them?

Nope.

Bummer. Guess I'll have to go through my accumulated emails for recommendations for a PCIx Firewire card for the desktop machine.

--
David W. Jones
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx