Re: Lexicon Lambda USB - are my lockups due to the hardware or software?

Sorry, I can't quote easily (using Gmail on the web)...

About underruns, I'm using 128 frames / period and 2 periods / buffer. Now I'm trying to reproduce the issue without jackd, I guess that might be less relevant. The "operations" I was talking about can hardly be called massive, and the lockups last for much longer than the operations themselves.

it's a pretty decent i5, nothing earth-shattering, but then I'm not asking much of it. The lockups happen even without Ardour, just listening to music with Audacious / VLC / Chrome (YouTube) / listening to old demos on Audacity.

antony@cubase:~$ sudo hdparm -t /dev/sda
/dev/sda:
 Timing buffered disk reads: 532 MB in  3.00 seconds = 177.30 MB/sec
antony@cubase:~$ sudo hdparm -T /dev/sda
/dev/sda:
 Timing cached reads:   23756 MB in  2.00 seconds = 11889.97 MB/sec

At the moment, the jury's still out on whether the lockups happen without jackd. Currently running without it and will report back either way.

On 14 April 2017 at 22:16, Chris Caudle <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, April 14, 2017 1:26 pm, Antony Gelberg wrote:
> I have noticed that the lockups seem to *start* when I do
> something that might cause a bit of processor / disk IO e.g.

Is it just underruns because the machine can't keep up?  What number of
frames per period are you using, and how  many periods per buffer?

Does ulimit -r show that you can set a high enough real time priority?

> only happens when jack(dbus) is also running

Did you ever try jackd only without the pulse-sink loaded?

--
Chris Caudle