Re: Linux Audio: An overview

On Mon, 3 Apr 2017, Louigi Verona wrote:

Not sure who are you replying to, since you are quoting my link, but in my
article I say nothing about musicians not understanding hardware/software, this
was something that Len said.

I personally cannot agree with what Len said. This is not the 70s.

No it is the 201*s and the same thing still applies. I agree there are many sound or recording engineers who play well. I agree there are many musicians who can do good recordings in their home studio... but I would still say that large number of people is a small percentage of the total of "musicians" (even assuming 10%ish).

I think because of our (people on this list) interests and therefore the people we look at and look at their work, we see more of that small number of people who do both well and to us it looks big. Do ask people who run recording studios for profit what they think of musicians technical abilities in general. Most studios ignore these things... see Spectre Sound Studios youtube channel for the large number of posts about "stupid musician texts" for just a few examples. (viewer comments too) Though I think he gets some of the very worst ones (I wouldn't call them "average").

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net