Re: using Jack an interface to ecasound

On 19/01/17 03:10, john gibby wrote:
I'm making progress. I believe I actually have jack2, with "legacy server jackd" included along with it. I have successfully used the jack2 admin commands to start/stop and configure jack, to 128 samples, n=3, my alsa device, etc. I tried to set priority to 20 but since I can't remember my admin password, no go on that. Pianoteq finally sees 128 buffer size instead of 1024, and I can hear my piano on one of my speakers. Maybe if I could set the priority down to 20, I could use 64 sample buffer. I see 8 playback channels in qjackctl, which I think is correct for my ALC1150 device. I still have some problems but am a ways down the road now... Thanks!

But, I'm still a little unclear on what order to start things up in. For now, I'm only worried about jack2, qjackctl and pianoteq; ecasound will come later. If I don't start things up in the right order, it seems, I cannot use qjackctl to make the connections (it ignores my clicks). Suppose I set up a patchbay profile (once I manage to get the connections made again). Is this the right order to quickly bring it all back up later:

1. run the commands that start jackdbus
2. start pianoteq
3. bring up qjackctl (will my saved profile then be activated, connecting pianoteq to jack according to the profile connections?)

Thanks again,
John
Hi John,
I have had still to fathom out how to get things just the way I want them automatically. After booting up, I start QjackCtl which seems to start Jackdbus quite happily. I then start and stop various things, and then configure the connections with QjackCtl.

I had some problems when I plugged in a keyboard, as it didn't appear to Jack, but then I was advised to run a2j (alsa-to-jack) which makes a connection between the keyboard and
Jack, then I can connect that to my sequencer program (home-grown.)

This list is a great asset for us. Lots of knowledgeable folks around who are willing
to offer advice. Thanks folks!!

Bill