Re: "Skewed" Audio with JACK

On Sun, 4 Dec 2016, David Santamauro wrote:

On 12/04/2016 12:06 PM, Len Ovens wrote:

Pulse is pretty much guarenteed to loose samples here and there.

Please define "loose samples here and there" ... thanks

Pulse doesn't tell you about xruns. It makes whatever it has as an input fit what the output needs by whatever method needed with the least amount of audible distortion. Just like most people can not tell the difference between an MP3 and the wav it came from, most people can not tell the difference from pulse's input to it's output. But in the same way you wouldn't use MP3 as a DAW tracking standard, I wouldn't use pulse for recording unless there was no other way. (skype phone call for example)

It is another way of saying it handles just about anything gracefully.... even skype. But it is a desktop audio system that is designed for audio consumption, not audio creation. It does really well at what it is designed for and even not too bad at what it is not designed for.

I run pulse on my desktop as a front end for jack. Pulse sees jack as the (only) audio device. I try not to record anything so badly I need to use the noise remover in Audacity.... the Audacity noise removal plugin being the only feature I can't find elsewhere.

letting Pulse directly see/connect to any real audio device will compromise the pulse-jack bridge and cause xruns.

I hope I have made clear I am not against pulse. It works very well in the place it was designed for. I still prefer a boxend wrench over an adjustable wrench when I work on a truck too.... but will use vicegrips in an emergency. Every tool has it's place.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net