Re: Feedback Cancellation Plugin

On 10/23/2016 10:09 AM, Johannes Kroll wrote:
On Sun, 23 Oct 2016 09:37:11 +1100
Roger <gurusonic@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Is this for removing feedback from an existing recording, or live?
For live. I have several piezo pickups attached to different objects.
The objects pick up the sound and start to vibrate, creating the
feedback.

For an existing recording you could try Audacity's Spectral Editing.
For live, you should eq the PA and monitors before the performance to
minimize the problem areas, but trying to keep as close to flat response
as possible. It's simple but takes a lot to master. For monitors just
push the level until it feeds back and notch out in the equalizer. Then
cup the mic a little and notch any further feedback.  A good RTA may
help here although I've heard people use them to tune FOH and the mix
ended up sounding truly awful.
- Best - good third octave equaliser and a good pair of ears
- Less good but possibly helpful - one of those feedback suppressor units
A "Feedback Suppressor Unit" in software is exactly what I'm looking
for, yes. I'm aware it would change the sound, I could live with that.
.

I just had a look around the webz. There are quite a few hardware ones from Behringer FBQ2496 at $199 to Rupert Neve Designs 5045 Primary Source Enhancer at $1799. The only software one was from Waves, obviously not Linux.

Careful EQ should enable a significant increase in level combined with careful mic placement. You piezo mics are probably omnidirectional which is a big disadvantage.

I also found this RaneNote which gives a good explanation - http://www.rane.com/note158.html

Cheers

Roger