limits.conf not applied in Ubuntu 16.10

>> Would you guys have any idea what I can have a look at?
>
> Sounds like a pam_limits.so not getting loaded. I'd compare the contents
> of /etc/pam.d/ on 16.10 with the one on 16.04.

All right, interesting - so downloaded the source code of lightdm in 16.04 to compare the pam config files and they look a lot different.
So I guess lots of work is being done there - what I find interesting is that the 16.04 version of the lightdm conf does not include  pam_limits.so.

Files are below.

16.10:
#%PAM-1.0
auth    requisite       pam_nologin.so
auth    sufficient      pam_succeed_if.so user ingroup nopasswdlogin
@include common-auth
auth    optional        pam_gnome_keyring.so
auth    optional        pam_kwallet.so
auth    optional        pam_kwallet5.so
@include common-account
session [success=ok ignore=ignore module_unknown=ignore default=bad] pam_selinux.so close
#session required        pam_loginuid.so
session required        pam_limits.so
@include common-session
session [success=ok ignore=ignore module_unknown=ignore default=bad] pam_selinux.so open
session optional        pam_gnome_keyring.so auto_start
session optional        pam_kwallet.so auto_start
session optional        pam_kwallet5.so auto_start
session required        pam_env.so readenv=1
session required        pam_env.so readenv=1 user_readenv=1 envfile=/etc/default/locale
@include common-password

16.04:
#%PAM-1.0
# Block login if they are globally disabled
auth      required pam_nologin.so
# Load environment from /etc/environment and ~/.pam_environment
auth      required pam_env.so
# Use /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow for passwords
auth      required pam_unix.so
# Check account is active, change password if required
account   required pam_unix.so
# Allow password to be changed
password  required pam_unix.so
# Setup session