Re: DAW file format

On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 5:22 PM, Alf Haakon Lund <alf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It seems to me that most DAWs on linux are 'operating on' WAV files. However I see there are other options, like in Ardour's session/properties/media tab

Except for losing the 4 GB limit on file size, are there other advantages of using for example broadcast rf64?

metadata, primarily.

Will Ardour just change the default once I change this setting, and is it safe to change on a work in progress?

It will not change the format of files already created by Ardour; it will change the format of all files created after you make the change.  Since Ardour can read and write all the formats it claims to support, it doesn't care if a session uses files all in a single format, or in a mixture of formats.