Re: Ardour 4 audio export FLAC questions

On 11. sep. 2016 12:16, Bent Bisballe Nyeng wrote:

My guess is that SoundConverter decimates the sample value or that the
sample values were decimated during export to wav.
If you run the 'file' command on each of the FLAC files you'll probably
see that the one exported from ardour is 24 bit and the one made with
SoundConverter is 16 bit.

Thank you, that's the case. I asked Ardour to export to a 16-bit FLAC and the task was performed even more efficient than through SoundConverter: resulting file is 262 MB.

I assume that for CD quality I won't need 24-bit? As a hobby musician and radio DJ, will I ever?

If you export to 24 bit wav or perhaps even float wav from Ardour and
then run the 'flac --best' command on it yourself how big is the
resulting file then?

Being satisfied for now to export to 16-bit, I will not bother with this test.

Thank you very much for your helpful answer!

Alf