Re: Google Magenta project's first composition

On 06/04/2016 07:43 PM, jonetsu@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Sat, 4 Jun 2016 21:01:16 +0100
Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Furthermore, there is not exactly a life-threatening shortage of
music, so what 'need' does machine generated music fill?

Presumably, the same 'need' that all other music fills. I recently read a great book called "This Is Your Brain On Music" by Daniel J. Levitin of the McGill University Laboratory for Musical Perception, Cognition and Expertise. I heartily recommend reading it. Before going to college and gaining his degrees, Dr Levitin was a session musician, sound engineer and record producer for 10 years; worked with Stevie Wonder and Blue Oyster Cult and a bunch of others.

The last chapter discusses the question: Why does music (and the unique and powerful parts of the brain dedicated to music) exist? Until the last 400-500 years, music was something everyone did, individually (to demonstrate fitness as a mate) and as a group (to establish social and group unity, enabling them to function together better when hunting or facing danger), and also as a communication tool (think about the Chinese language which uses pitch to differentiate words, or the many varieties of whistles people have used to communicate across distances).

Music was also participatory: everyone sang, beat time, danced as part of making music. (Dancing also demonstrated fitness as a mate as well as your ability to work together as a group.) The modern classical concert where everyone sits there engaged in their intellectual appreciation of the violin soloist is completely alien to human music tradition.

Dr Levitin also points out that most people's emotional preference in music is determined during adolescence, when the sex hormones start firing madly and the body is screaming to its surroundings, "Reproduce with me!" People fix on the music they think will get them laid.

Perhaps another need: The need of people to expand existing knowledge in new ways. In Christian music, some have the concept of being "priests of creation": People who enable nature to praise God in ways nature would be otherwise unable to do on its own. Computers and software are part of nature. So Magenta's developers are giving voice to otherwise voiceless things like integrated circuits, silicon chips, etc.

Personally, I think that developers of audio creation and manipulation software are also priests of creation. So bear your new title proudly!

Record companies not having to pay artists ? :)

Muzak?

Or record companies and artists both desperately trying to avoid having some jury decide that a .2 second bit of sound on one musician's album was really lifted from someone else's album? Or the chord progression in your song was "stolen" from someone else? Such could be the idiocies of our legal system, though.

--
David W. Jones
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx