Re: [LAD] rtp-MIDI status

On 23/03/2016 11:40, Christopher Arndt wrote:
Am 23.03.2016 um 09:11 schrieb Alessio Degani:
I need only rtpMIDI support.
There are some other solitions?
None that I know of. I researched this about two years ago and only came
up with the projects you found too. I had a look at the scenic software,
but it didn't seem easy to extract the RTP-MIDI part.

One important thing to realize is, when people say RTP-MIDI, they
usually mean "Apple's implementation of the RTP-MIDI plus its
proprietary session handling protocol".
Yes, and it's a bad thing for a "standard" protocol :)
I know of only these compatible
implementations:

- Apple's CoreMIDI framework for OS X and iOS

- rtpMIDI (http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/rtpmidi.html):
Windows, closed source

- nmj (http://www.humatic.de/htools/nmj/): Android, closed source

The developer of TouchDAW... the main tool I need to use with rtp-MIDI and Linux :)

- WinRTP-MIDI (http://winrtpmidi.codeplex.com/) - Windows RT

The MIDI association supposedly wanted to standardize RTP-MIDI further,
but I'm not sure whether that future standard will include Apple's
extensions and how open it will be.
Cool! Ok... let me check on this in two years heheh

Usually for such a things I go with OSC, but for the compatibility with "old" hardware, I have to implement a middle-ware for OSC-to-MIDI translation, and in a production environment is not recommended to run a not fully tested code :)

Thank you Chris,

Chris

a.