Re: Building an Open Source keyboard rig

On Fri, 4 Mar 2016, Ben Bell wrote:

On Thu, Mar 03, 2016 at 08:15:46PM +1100, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
If you don't need a visual environment then you can run without X. I have
servers online running this way. They don't even have sound cards and use
jack -dummy instead. Everything can be controlled by external hardware
and/or command line fu.
This is definitely more what I had in mind. I don't want to be dealing with
a computer, I want it to feel like an instrument. So controlled by MIDI and
maybe something like Arduino-powered controllers and feedback (display,
LEDs).

If you want to save yourself time and hassle buy a prebuilt manufactured
solution.
Do you mean a prebuilt audio PC of some sort, or did you just mean a normal
off the shelf workstation synth keyboard?

The only prebuilt audio PC I can think of is the MOD. Midi controlable, high quality i/o, Runs synths out of the box (some may even be pre loaded).

Rather than a NUC, I would tend to one of the atom boards. Gpu used to be not open (don't know about new ones), but then, headless for stage work so who cares? Runs on 12v, no fan needed, lots of USB built in, no fan needed, good latency performance. Worked successfully in the previous beta style MOD.

For a controller... quickest is any USB keyboard. Each key assigned one function... or each key assigned a midi event to send to the synth. Displays with serial in might be enough for user feedback.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net