Re: Updated to kernel 4.4.1, missing module snd_ice1712 -> no more envy24 support?

On Sat, 20 Feb 2016, Menno wrote:

okay, i have to read this over a couple of times before i can get my head
around this. But  a lot your elaborate answer!

I'm still stuck in the phase that not much has changed in 8 years in terms
of "just getting the processed data out much faster". And i'm stuck in the
phase that says that things would get better and better :P

I'm using Csound and Blue when i work with audio, and i would like to render
the output in realtime. I jst need speed !

The question then is what is "real time" for you? What latency are you running now? If you take a low cpu synth what is the lowest latency you can run at without xruns (what is the lowest latency you can run jackd for some hours at doing nothing with no xruns)? Are you already using a lowlatency or real time kernel? As I said before, speed is generally not the question though speed can help. Certainly more speed in the basic processor itself will help provided the cpu is not using tricks to acheive throughput that damage latency. Also stay away from MB where the main claim to fame is low power use as you will want to turn almost any power saving stuff off for reliable low latency audio use anyway.

Some people are able to work with as high as jackd running 256/2 for real time use, I need 128/2 minimum and prefer at least 64/2. This not zero latency but small latency (there is no such thing as zero latency even with all analog gear. The air adds latency at least which our brain just deals with).

So far you have not told us what latency you use now or how low you have tried to run. I have been able to do low latency audio (guitarix at 64/2) with no xruns on a single core atom running at 1.5Ghz. (disclaimer, there were some of the default presets that did cause xruns, but most not) Your system should be able to do better. If you can run your current setup with less processing requirements at a reasonable latency (internel intel HDA may not be able to go below 64/3 for latency anyway), then adding more processing power may help. If your workflow allows the use of multi-cores even better. Use jackd2 should help some.

So, what are you doing now? What interface? how low can you run jack? What sample rate (48k should be fine)? Also, I don't know C sound or Blue well, is there buffer size adjustments inside these applications as well?

It would be nice if you left the questions you are replying to in your answering email as well.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net