Re: Galvanic isolation (was: Re: pianos with built in recorders?)

On Wed, 23 Dec 2015, Jonathan E. Brickman wrote:

USB MIDI has got the risk to cause noticeable MIDI jitter.

Does USB MIDI provide galvanic isolation? Several times I read claims
that USB MIDI connections aren't galvanically isolated.

Standard MIDI connectors make usage of opto-couplers and shield of the
MIDI DIN connectors is open.

Certainly all of the USB MIDI connections I have ever tested, are not
galvanically isolated; I always get trouble with USB signals bleeding over where
they don't belong.  USB-to-DIN adapters I have used have been better, but not
perfect.  Is there a make/model of USB-to-DIN (or even PCI-to-DIN if it exists
anymore) which you know for sure has opto-coupling?  That would be a great boon
to me.  Sooner or later I'm going to do optocoupling for audio too, probably
using a TOSLink setup.

PCI slots on motherboards are getting hard to find. However, it seems they all still have two serial ports as headers if not on the back. Maybe try this:

http://www.maxmidi.com/diy/serial/

Note: this is old (I better pdf it) it makes mention of ISA slots :) But it would still work fine now. There are serialport midi drivers for Linux.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net