Re: [OT]: Multiple windows paradigm - [WAS]: Re: A Project To Upgrade seq24

On 10 Dec 2015 08:37, "Lorenzo Sutton" <lorenzofsutton@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 09/12/2015 22:17, Louigi Verona wrote:
>> A single window mode is very welcome. I don't understand this Linux
>> obsession with opening a zillion of windows.
>>
> Personally I find multiple windows a very nice distinctive feature on Linux vs. other OSs, especially for complex applications which offer different 'interaction paradigms'.

Generally I'm more on Louigi's side of the argument here. I find lots of windows opening by default distinctively annoying. However, there are obviously use cases, such as with multiple workspaces or monitors. I'd prefer this to be user configurable though.

The UI toolkit I use for Praxis LIVE starts off as single window, but allows the user to drag features around inside the main window, or outside into a new window. Surely that's a feature of most UI toolkits that support MDI, and actually meets both requirements above?

Best wishes,

Neil

Neil C Smith
Artist : Technologist : Adviser