Re: "Cannot open lsp client" ??

On 11/18/2015 04:37 PM, James Harkins wrote:
Can anyone provide some insight into the following JACK error?

Cannot open lsp client jack_client_open() failed, status = 0x21

Background: SuperCollider has an extension class, SCJConnection[1],
that uses jack_lsp to query a running jack server for ports,
properties and connections. This has never failed for me. In fact, at
8 AM today, it was fine. Then I needed to step away, so I closed
audio apps, stopped the Jack server (using qjackctl) and suspended my
Ubuntu session. A bit later, I resumed the session, restarted the
Jack server, launched SC, and it spit out "Cannot open lsp client"
for the same action that had worked perfectly two hours before.

Quitting and restarting the Jack server did not resolve the problem.

Rebooting the computer resolved the problem.

If it's impossible to determine the cause at this point, that's fine
-- I've seen stranger things from computers. But it's troubling that
something that has worked literally thousands of times would
suddenly, today, fail for no apparent reason. So I'm hoping maybe
somebody might have a guess what would cause lsp to break (and I can
keep that in mind if it happens again).

hjh

[1]
https://github.com/supercollider-quarks/LinuxExternal/blob/master/JACK/SCJConnection.sc

My general experience has been that very little audio hardware handles suspension. My USB soundcard, for example, does not. But you said lsp was working before you suspended, so I have no idea beyond Ubuntu sneaking in an update????

--
David W. Jones
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx