keyboard ideas anyone?

Hi All,
I am still appreciating all the sound card wisdom! I think I shared I am aiming for the m-audio audiofile 2496, which I am finding on ebay. I visited our hackers lab here in Toronto hoping to find someone with enough Linux debian smarts to help me here with the software part of my circumstance. As there are apparently many ways I can ahem play the composing side of things with all the command line tools, I am wondering if folks have keyboard or workstation suggestions? I will likely need to be more specific, but do not want to stop the flow of ideas.
Thanks,
Karen