Re: Running a JACK application with cron et al.

On Tue, 21 Jul 2015, Chris Caudle wrote:

On Tue, July 21, 2015 1:16 am, F. Silvain wrote:
is there a way to do it? I tried, but didnt get any sound. I suspect, that
cron doesn't use the user, who defined the task to be run?

According to the crontab man page, there should be a crontab file per
user, and the tasks will be run as the user who owns the crontab:

A crontab file contains instructions to the cron(8) daemon of the general
form: "run this command at this time on this date". Each user has their
own crontab, and commands in any given crontab will be executed as the
user who owns the crontab.

That is my understanding as well. The user just types crontab -e to edit their crontab.

My system is Debian Squeeze, my JACK is 0.121.3 .
My scheduler is anacron

This is in the "Disadvantages" paragraph in the Wikipedia description of
anacron:
Only the system administrator can configure anacron tasks. In contrast,
cron allows non-admin users to configure scheduled tasks.

So far as I know anacron uses cron, so if you have one you have the other... at least with my ubuntustudio setup that is true.

My question becomes why stop jack? I run jack 24/7 here with no problems. I have done so for over 2 years now. Pulse audio sees jack as it's audio interface and jack allows changing latency as it runs (well jack 2 does for sure, but I have not seen anything that says jack1 doesn't). If I lower the latency past what pulse deals well with, I unload the pulse bridge and pulse "quietly" uses it's dummy sink till I reload the bridge. Pulse uses very little cpu in this mode... even less if you don't stream audio at it.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net