Re: Electrical violin?

On Wed, 3 Jun 2015, Gabriel Nordeborn wrote:

Does anyone have experience with electrical violins? I might be looking to buy
one, although I don't know how to play the violin, but I'd really really like to
have one and try to learn. But, for my girlfriend and neighbour's sake, I'm
looking primarily at electrical ones.

I am not a player either, but do know that for some notes a lot of the sound comes from the bridge and not the body. That is that an electric may be quieter than an acoustic, but still much louder than an electric guitar in the same way an electric guitar is louder (acoustically) than an electric bass. Are there no big name music stores you can rent one from for a week or so? or at least try one out in the store? Do you have any friends that play?

I saw this one:

http://www.kkmusicstore.com/cecilio-cevn1bk-black-metallic-size-44-34-or-12-electric-silent-violin-in-style-1-case-lesson-book-w-dvd-bow-more-p-377.html?zenid=94d12e24dd5f843574fb1e5d7700acf2

Which (as the reviewer said) is cheap enough to be a throw away... that is renting will eat up that much ($130) pretty quick. (and much cheaper than a reasonable acoustic model)

I would compare a violin to a mandolin (which I do have), but I realize that the violin is generally one note at a time so the trouble I have with stumbling over my big fingers on the mandolin may be reduced. :)

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net