Re: running jackd from rc.local

On Sat, 18 Apr 2015, Athanasios Silis wrote:

Hi Len,
unfortunately the .desktop file is not good for me.
it is only run after I have logged in, whereas I want my script to be started as
me, but before I log in.
Is there a way to achieve that, without resorting to autologin ?

OK, perhaps a full description of what you are trying to acheive would help. little bits of info I think I have put together include:
 - You will be using a DE at some point.
 - You want to be able to access jack after logging in as well as before
 - jack is still to be used only by one user
 - jack2 is prefered?
 - what would jack be doing while logged out I don't know
 - should jack continue to run after logout?
	(that is do you normally logout and in)
- Is most of the running done by script anyway and loggin in is used mostly for other things besides audio? Can all audio stuff be done by command line?
 - will jack be used as a device for pulseaudio...
- will pulse run at all? if so will it ever touch the same device as jack has? - is your machine using sysv init, systemd, upstart? (upstart is going away BTW, leaving one to wonder about the future of MIR)

As Jeremy has already suggested have you tried:

export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:path=/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
jack_control start

in the script run by your su user?

--
Len Ovens