Re: Cutting the USB cord :-)

On Tue, 3 Mar 2015, Jonathan E. Brickman wrote:

Because this is a stage/live setup, I would question
using 96k, but trust that you have your reasons.

The 96k is for the highs. I like to have a very gentle feathery timbre available in the higher reaches at lower volumes, in strings. The shape of the waveform is very crude, if you think about it, at 48k in the higher reaches.

Some people would dissagree:
http://xiph.org/video/vid2.shtml

I am thinking an OPUS
link would be advantageous because it may handle dropped packets better
than PCM and still has good latency performance.

Had not heard of OPUS.  Can you direct me to a reading or three?

Considering what you have said above, you may not like it as it does not transport anything above 20khz, the native sample rate is 48k.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opus_%28audio_format%29
http://opus-codec.org/

--
Len Ovens