Re: SPDIF plus NetJack for digital audio transfer between computers.

On Thu, 26 Feb 2015, Brendan Furneaux wrote:

For starters, NetJack(1|2) does not seem to be designed for the use case where
the sound cards on two networked computers are actually synced in hardware; thus

The -net backend for jack effectively says that the remote computer is my audio device. The known ways around this is with alsa-in or zita-a2j which adjust the sample rate as well. There has been talk of making zita-a2j able to not resample, but I do not know if that has happened. The zita solution has much lower CPU use than alsa-in and better quality too. However, if you are using anything that resamples, I would suggest using the normal backend on both machines and running zita-j2n/zita-n2j instead as it builds easily and runs well on ubuntu.

netadapter receive MIDI? Is there some other software that would be better?

qmidinet comes with UbuntuStudio and there is windows equivalent available.

I currently have Jack 1.9.10 installed on both computers, and they work fine
individually.  They are configured with static IPs on the crossover cable, and
are at least able to ping each other.  However, I have not been able to get
NetJack2 to connect using either computer as the master.

There are some CLI commands jack_net_master jack_net_slave jack_netsource... I have not gotten any of those to work.

Run jackdbus (the default on Studio) either from qjackctl or using jack_control from a terminal and then run jack_load netmanager on one machine and start the other jackd/jackdbus with the -net backend. Midi lines can be set up.

As an aside, why would you not just run audio via spidif? or are there more than two channels to deal with?

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net