Re: Concurrent Patch Management, and process control

"Robust Session Management" has now been replaced with something much
better:

http://lsn.ponderworthy.com/doku.php/concurrent_patch_management

All patches are now kept running all the time, are switched by MIDI
channel from the MIDI controller, and can be played simultaneously.

Although I am not much of a musician, and have only played with midi on a much older machine, I have to say that this is the first truly new approach to the patch switching problem to come down the pike since I
gave
midi up quite some time ago. Very creative in my old broadcast engineers technical view.

Thanks, Gene!

We seriously need a MIDI-2 standard that addresses this. A pure glass fiber jumper cable could easily do the 16 byte command word, and do it with megaword/second speeds, in addition to being the perfect on stage humm isolator that plagues the analog copper cabling (that can give you a lethal shock if not wired correctly) way too often.

Cheers, Gene Heskett

I think the strongest effort to replace MIDI-1, is OSC. OSC-over-Ethernet seems the common transport, and it doesn't seem to have a maximum transport speed or rigid timing like MIDI does. There is an HD-MIDI out there but it still appears to be mostly in the process of seeking to be used. But just now I was not able to find a single 88-key weighted controller with OSC. Hopefully in the near future.

J.E.B.