[linux-audio-user] USB Audio + docking station/powered hub(audiotrak optopla

the problem appears to be that most USB hubs (like my port replicator) only
support asynchronous transfer while audio devices need isochronous
transfers. That would mean, most likely, that if I plugged a hub that
supports isochronous transfer, for example the griffin hub, into my
asynchronous docking station I would still have problems...

# lsusb -v | grep Synch

just gives numerous Synch Type none listings

so it looks like i have to ditch the docking station unless anyone else can
think of something :(

Thanks again,
- Jonathan Beilin

>From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: linux-audio-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] USB Audio + docking station/powered
>hub(audiotrak optoplay)
>Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 23:04:48 +0100
>
>On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 12:36:28PM -0800, Jonathan Beilin wrote:
> > Hi, I'm running gentoo on a dell inspiron 8600 with a docking station &
> > powered USB hub. When I'm undocked with the audiotrak optoplay plugged
>in
> > directly, it works fine. However, if I try to plug the optoplay in to
>the
> > docking station or the wall-wart powered USB hub the optical-digital
>light
> > is very faint and I get broken pipe reports when I send a signal to the
> > device. What is wrong?
>
>Thats interesting. This product:
>http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/usbaudio_hub/ claims to be a
>"USB Audio" hub, and I always thought it was BS, but maybe theres some
>truth in it.
>
>Sorry I dont have any helpful suggestions :( It could be that the audio
>device is trying to draw more power from a single port than the hub or
>docking station wants to provide, you can find out by running lsusb -vv as
>root and looking for the MaxPower line of your audio device and the power
>allowance (dunno what thats called) of the hub. The docking station will
>probably be a hub too.
>
>- Steve

Limited-time offer: Fast, reliable MSN 9 Dial-up Internet access FREE for 2
months!