[linux-audio-user] Filesystem: Ardour / SWD / Laptop

>> I am trying to setup my new laptop to be a very friendly
 >> environment for multimedia editing and software

> Currently I use:
> tmpfs for /tmp
>
> The /tmp setting makes much more of a difference than anything else
> though...

I would really recommend that people use tmpfs for /tmp (mounts /tmp in
ram). I googled "tmpfs" and there were some very good articles out there.

I've been meaning to pose this question for a while, so maybe this is a
good time to do it. Am I the only one out there that has their "Record
Directory" mounted as a tmpfs? I went out and bought a half a gig of ram
and brought my ram up to over 700 Megs of Ram. Now I just move all my
audio files into the "Record Directory" (in other words, in Ram) and
record out of that. Of course, I periodically copy the newly recorded
file to the hard drive.

The only thing is... I can't vouch for this approach because I havn't
had more than 2 (sterio 48000) wavs playing and 1 sterio 48000 wav being
recorded to at the same time. But there hasn't been so much as one
hiccup. But I guess the reason I haven't mentioned about this approach
is because I've (many times before) thought I stumbled on to something
great, only to find out that it wasn't as good as it looked on the
outside. But I have the feeling I'm going to keep getting good
performance from this meathod. And with the price of Ram these days,
it's an affordable approach.

Rocco