[linux-audio-user] YMFPCI hardware midi/snd-mp401-uart

--part1_30.4609cb32.2c857ae9_boundary

In a message dated 8/31/03 10:17:19 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
guy.clotilde@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

> The raw device is for externa synth, I believe.
> As far as a sequencer goes, it's far better to use a softsynth than the
> legacy card synth. With a softsynth, you will have far better sounds, see for
> example timidity and the eawpats sound with your distro.
> Wuen timidity is installed and launched (timidity -iA) you will find it in
> this MusE box.

I wanted to use the wavetable synth, even if it was of lower sound quality,
as a tool to listen to work in progress so as to reduce the load on the
processor.  I have been having some problems with crackling noises which I assume are
caused by MusE and or the softsynth overloading the processor when playing
back a multitrack midi file.

Today I did some experimenting with TiMidity as the softsynth for MusE --  I
got it configured with timidity -iA in one terminal and muse -R in another.
Then in the midiport configuration it popped up with timidity port 0 for the
first midi port.  Unfortunately this produced no sounds on testing.  I opened
the track info number and tried to select a preset, but all that it had was
"???" -- no patches to select from.

Is there another switch that needs to be thrown to load sounds into TiMidity?
 Something else?

I am running the Planet CCRMA acpi kernel, RH 8.0, with TiMidity++
2.11.3-4.1, TiMidity midia instruments 2.11.3-4.1, and eawpats 12-1 installed.

Thanks,

Barton

--part1_30.4609cb32.2c857ae9_boundary

=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">In a message dated 8/31/03 10:17:19 PM Pacific Dayligh=
t Time, guy.clotilde@xxxxxxxxxx writes:<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">The raw device is for externa s=
ynth, I believe.<BR>
As far as a sequencer goes, it's far better to use a softsynth than the lega=
cy card synth. With a softsynth, you will have far better sounds, see for ex=
ample timidity and the eawpats sound with your distro.<BR>
Wuen timidity is installed and launched (timidity -iA) you will find it in t=
his MusE box.</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D2=
 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D2=
 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">I wanted to use the wavetabl=
e synth, even if it was of lower sound quality, as a tool to listen to work=20=
in progress so as to reduce the load on the processor.&nbsp; I have been hav=
ing some problems with crackling noises which I assume are caused by MusE an=
d or the softsynth overloading the processor when playing back a multitrack=20=
midi file.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
Today I did some experimenting with TiMidity as the softsynth for MusE --&nb=
sp; I got it configured with timidity -iA in one terminal and muse -R in ano=
ther.&nbsp; Then in the midiport configuration it popped up with timidity po=
rt 0 for the first midi port.&nbsp; Unfortunately this produced no sounds on=
 testing.&nbsp; I opened the track info number and tried to select a preset,=
 but all that it had was "???" -- no patches to select from.<BR>
<BR>
Is there another switch that needs to be thrown to load sounds into TiMidity=
?&nbsp; Something else?<BR>
<BR>
I am running the Planet CCRMA acpi kernel, RH 8.0, with TiMidity++&nbsp; 2.1=
1.3-4.1, TiMidity midia instruments 2.11.3-4.1, and eawpats 12-1 installed.&=
nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
Thanks,<BR>
<BR>
Barton<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D2=
 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_30.4609cb32.2c857ae9_boundary--