[linux-audio-user] re: how to build a studio? (Joshua N Pritikin)

At 05:19 11.06.03 -0400, you wrote:
>i'm new to pro-audio world and i need some advice about
>how to setup a studio.
>
>i got my PC setup with an RME HDSP-9652 + SPDIF A/D D/A converter.
>Ardour works great.  i'm planning to purchase a FocusRite
>OctoPre/ADAT and a bunch of microphones.
>
>i think i need speakers too.
>
>Is there anything like digital speakers or digital amps which
>can accept ADAT directly from my linux box and turn it into
>sound?  Or do i need to convert ADAT to analogue and plug
>that into a conventional amp/speaker system?
>
>Considering how much care i'm taking to record sound digitally,
>without noise, it seems like i should also take care that
>the speakers can actually playback my recordings without
>too much distortion.
>
>Anyone have any recommendations?

Hi - i´m studiing tonmeister. My first tip: spend money on room acoustics.
(record a sinus-sweep and screen it. any omni will do.)
this point is more important than what speakers you use, because speakers
sound different in different rooms.

You need a D/A-converter with balanced output and active monitors. active
monitors have tech. advantages vs. the combination amp/passive speaker.

i would go for gaithain speakers (all modells, 2000 - 5000 EUR), but this
is matter of tast. tannoy reveal cost about 250 $. i dont recomend ANY
genelec speakers or yamaha. i personally like reveal a lot, for me there is
no competition in this price range. most important is that you get no 'bad
surprise' when listening to your mix on hi-end monitors. even if reveal
don´t sound so spectacular, you will have no such surprise with them.

reserve most of your money for mics. what thing are you going to record?

HTH,
urban