Re: Need help doing a jmp rather than a call

Thanks for your input. The system I am refering to (Dynace OO extension to C) already does what you describe by default. It has support for an alternate "assembly language" mechinism that operates faster becasue of the redused number of contexts to pop and returns to execute. This mechinism is a core component of some very large systems that perform this operation tens to hundreds of thousands of times per second. So a small gain is a large gain.

Although I used assambly language many years ago, that world keeps changing. These days my only use of assembly is this one piece of code. I believe this is a trivial task for someone who uses it regularly, so I really appreciate the help.

Incidently, in addition to being able to solve this problem in C only, Dynace implements threads (the kind where multiple C functions can share the same OS thread), and a mark-and-sweep garbage collector all in C too. So there is a lot that can be done without assembler. (Note, in addition to the above, Dynace also supports native/true threads and other GCs like the Boehm-Demers-Weiser collector).

Thanks.

Blake McBride

On 2013-11-09 00:19:34 -0600, Sofiane Akermoun said:

Do you really need assembly to perform this?

Why func2 doesn't return a pointer on func4 to the caller func1?
This way func2 do this job, and return to func1 a pointer on a
function to call func4.
A very little, simple and naive simple:

#include <stdio.h>

void func4(char *str)
{
    printf("%s", str);
}

void (*func2(void))(char *)
{
    //we can imagine here some work on func2 that will decide what
function  to return
    return func4;
}

void func1(char *str)
{
   //Here func2 return func4 pointer and
   //it is used ny func1 to call func4 function with "str" argument
   func2()(str);
}

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{