Re: init.asm - 0.03 (19-Jun-2002) - asmutils 0.18

Bodo Giannone wrote:

If I use another type of sh, for example ash from busybox I get the
following error and no segfault: "can't access tty, job control turned off".

From the Busybox FAQ:

--------------------
Why do I keep getting "sh: can't access tty; job control turned off" errors? Why doesn't Control-C work within my shell?

Job control will be turned off since your shell can not obtain a controlling terminal. This typically happens when you run your shell on /dev/console.
    The kernel will not provide a controlling terminal on the /dev/console
device. Your should run your shell on a normal tty such as tty1 or ttyS0 and everything will work perfectly. If you <em>REALLY</em> want your shell to run on /dev/console, then you can hack your kernel (if you are into that sortof thing) by changing drivers/char/tty_io.c to change the lines where it sets "noctty = 1;" to instead set it to "0". I recommend you instead
    run your shell on a real console...
-------------------

That's what it says...

I think the cause could be the same. It could probably mean that init
does not activate the ttys completely.

Agreed. I took a quick look at tty_io.c to see what noctty=1/0 does for us - that may be what init needs to do(?). No enlightenment yet (I'm not a good C programmer and not "oriented" in the kernel... don't expect too much).

The asmutils init does this:

sys_ioctl  [tty_fd], TCGETS, tty_termios
sys_ioctl  [tty_fd], TCSETSW, tty_termios

As a wild-asmed guess, I'm guessing we may want to tweak some flags in between. I need to study it some more, but that's the current theory...

I don't know if I know enough to help you with this, Bodo, but it's an "interesting puzzle".

Best,
Frank