Re: Segment override and lldt instruction

Frank Kotler wrote:
A D wrote:
Hi! I have couple of questions regarding gnu assembly. I've heard the word
segment override. Where segment register can be manually overriden. so how can i override say ds register? can segment register be overriden to my preferred
memory address location?

mov $0xf800, %ax
mov %ax, %es
mov %ds, %bx

But I get segmentation fault error. How can i do it without error?

Use a valid selector. You appear to have "heard about" some 16=bit real mode stuff that is not true in protected mode. Take a look here:

http://my.execpc.com/~geezer/johnfine/segments.htm

In "Linux assembly", there is no reason you'd *want* to use a segment override, or alter a segment register.

Also I was looking at the function of lldt instruction. The manual says that:
"The source operand (a general-purpose register or a memory location)
contains a segment selector that points to a local descriptor table (LDT)."

How can one make segment selector point to ldt?

"lldt ax" or "lldt [mem]" (16-bits)... I guess. But why? The limit is 0xffffffff and the base is 0. (Windows uses fs in a way that might be "interesting"..._

If you're developing your own OS (using Linux), starting from a bootsector - or GRUB - these instructions might be useful, but for "Linux assembly", forget that segment registers exist! (and be glad! :)

Best,
Frank

Thanks Frank. I was just curious how these things work. Thanks for your
pointer.