Re: Segmented or Flat model

First of all thanks for your reply.

I need clarification to a particular gnu assembly question. When i
write a code:

.section .data
output:
   .int 1

.section .text
.globl _start
_start:
   movl $output, %ebx

here what type of memory model is used for movl statement(flat or
segmented)?

Brian Raiter wrote:
I suppose that depends on your target platform. Since you sent this to
linux-assembly, I'm going to assume that the answer is "flat". For all
practical purposes, there is no "segmented" memory model on 32-bit
x86 linux.

correct me if i'm wrong. But what I understand are you saying that x86 linux
doesn't use segmented memory model. Are you sure?(i could be wrong in
understanding sorry) Because I'm reading the book "Understanding Linux Kernel" and the author is saying that linux uses segmented memory model. I wasn't sure
whether linux uses seg model by default so i asked the question.

Again thanks.