Re: CPU cores...

On 1/16/07, Henio Paszczak <blurrpp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yes .. I understand that kernel is controlling that
everything, but for sure there is some linux system
call which give possibility to load secund core
another thread, to synchronize this processes and so
one. Any way .. some body  had to write the kernel and
give it "power" to decide which core to use ( of
course i can read kernel source and for sure i will,
but now i don't have enough time :) )

SOlaris gives you (the system administrator/programmer/etc)
the ability to bind (using pbind) a process (not sure about threads,
but it might
be possible too) to a specific CPU/core.
I still haven't played enough on multiple core Linux servers to
have a need for that facility/function :( as I've found that the
kernel's scheduling is mostly adequate enough once I've threaded/forked of the
correct number of threads/processes for the available CPUs/cores.

... so for
example i want to create binary file .. program which
doing some computation on both cores, put it to
diskette boot block and restart system. There is no
linux and other os I can use only bios system calls
etc. and there is for sure some method to take control
over both cores.
Lukas

Check on ACPI and I think MPI (I believe 1.4 is the later version)
that tells you
about these CPUs/cores etc.

Then use the bus locking instructions for synchronization and protection
of critical stages/areas in your code. Again these principles are described
in most text books on process/thread synchronization, it's just the
assembler codes
that different from CPU to CPU ;^P

--
Hendrik Visage