Re: kexec failures on ipq4019

Hi Andy,

>> --
>> "QUALCOMM INDIA, on behalf of Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code Aurora Forum, hosted by The Linux Foundation
>
> Sricharan,
>
>   I am using https://git.openwrt.org/openwrt/openwrt.git, commit:
> ac70ac3532fefa78c944d8a26c8df0ca5d88d04e
>
>   Can you provide me a link to the source that you are using?
>
>   I think my problem is that callback cpu_kill within struct
> smp_operations is not properly implemented in
> arch/arm/mach-qcom/platsmp.c.  I added a dummy function that just
> returns 1 to allow loading the crash kernel.  That is the patch in my
> original email in this thread.  I gave this approach a try because I
> saw another SUBARCH doing the same, but I think it's inadequate.
>
>   After reading the surrounding code,
> https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/207562/ and
> https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/1925071/ , I now believe that I
> need to power down CPUs in cpu_kill.  Since I don't have the datasheet
> for ipq4019, I'm not sure how to do that.  If you have any advise
> regarding this, that would great.
>
>   When I boot the machine with nr_cpus=1,  kexec always works.   It
> also seems to work reliably if I taskset the process that triggers the
> crash to cpu 0.

Sorry for the delayed response.

https://source.codeaurora.org/quic/qsdk/oss/kernel/linux-msm/tree/?h=eggplant

Just see that we are always doing a nr_cpus=1 for the kexec kernel and thats
why it was ok.

That said, the current code mach-qcom/platsmp.c does not implement the
cpu_kill callback. Even for a hotplug its just a wfi(). While doing
a wfi() is going to work for hotplug, it would not for the kexec, since
the cpu's were never put it reset state and waking them would simply fail.

That means we need to have the complement to kpssv2_release_secondary
implemented for cpu_kill callback. I will try to write down the exact
sequence from programming guide and give here.

Regards,
 Sricharan