Re: [RFC] Proposal: Static SECCOMP Policies

On Fri, Sep 13, 2024 at 05:07:46PM GMT, Maxwell Bland wrote:
> make a standard framework for EL2-based kernel protection open source, then we
> have a counter of the 29,000ish writable datastructures,and well defined
> mechanisms for preventing malicious modification via write gadgets

Ugh, this is a complicated issue and I wrote this email quickly, let me
clarify, apologies:

1 I am worried about write gadgets (e.g. UAF + heap spray)
2 _Some_ modern exploits use write gadgets to modify read-only data
  (e.g. code pages), most target dynamic data, such as device struct
  pointers and kworker queues.
3 I'm working to build an open-source system that will reduce the ARM64
  kernel's threat surface for write gadgets to the _just_ those targeting
  dynamic data.
4 After that point, there is still the issue of developing a
  verification framework for updates to approx. 29,000 dynamic data
  structures (based on our generated vmlinux) in the kernel. Attempts
  like ARM MTE are the most promising approaches so far.

That is, I'm suggesting empirically measuring the set of datastructures
vulnerable to the write gadget stage of current exploits and then taking
steps to reduce the number of datastructures and impact on those
datastructures a write gadget can have.

Hopefully the above explanation will help remove some of the confusion
resulting from my poor writing.

Thanks,
Maxwell

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [Linux for Sparc]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux MIPS]     [ECOS]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]