To otg-fsm or not to otg-fsm? That is the question.

Hey Linux USBer's,

I'm looking to add host support to the qualcomm OTG USB driver.  The
driver in mainline currently has gadget support only.  I'm starting
with an out-of-tree driver that has full gadget and host support.  It
has it's own OTG state machine implement in the driver, that I was
about to forward-port to top-of-tree.

However, I found the files /usb/common/usb-otg-fsm.c and I'm wondering
what the status of that is.  There appears to be only one driver
currently using it.  Should I modify the qualcomm driver
(drivers/usb/phy/phy-msm-usb.c to use that state machine, or just try
to mainline the state machine from the out-of-tree driver?  I'm
suspecting the former will be more work, but I want to do the right
thing.

Really I'm just checking that using the generic state machine is the
preferred method of supporting USB OTG drivers going forward.

Thanks!

 -- Tim Bird
Senior Software Engineer, Sony Mobile
Architecture Group Chair, CE Workgroup, Linux Foundation