Re: [RFC/PATCH 2/2] usb: ehci: Add support for SINGLE_STEP_SET_FEATURE test of EHSET

On Fri, 9 Aug 2013, Felipe Balbi wrote:

> > > heh, it doesn't need to be entirely in the core. Core could have the
> > > generic calls and HCDs could implement some callbacks, but I think quite
> > > a bit of the code will be similar if we implement the same thing on all
> > > HCDs.
> >
> > What generic calls and callbacks would you suggest?  I assume you want
> > enough to cover not just this one test but the entire USB-CV suite.
>
> maybe a single callback for supporting 'testmodes' ? which receives the
> test mode as argument ?

I don't have a clear picture of how you would apply such an approach to
this case.  There would have to be a way to tell the HCD to insert a
15-second delay between the Setup and Data stages of a particular
control URB.  How would you do that?  Whatever method you choose,
implementing it in every HCD would be a huge amount of work.

What other test modes would you want to support?

Is it worth adding this support to the standard host controller
drivers, or should there be a special version (a Kconfig option like
CONFIG_RCU_TORTURE_TEST) to enable it?  Putting a lot of testing code
in distribution kernels where it will never be used seems like a big
waste.

Alan Stern