Re: some questions about kernel src

On Sunday, May 20, 2012 01:33:30 PM ayaka wrote:
> Hello everyone I am porting debian armhf to my mobile htc shooteru(evo 3d
> gsm). But I met some problem with htc kernel source, so I want to try
> Mr.David's src. I have clone it, but I don't know which branch shall I
> check out. The problem of htc kernel src is once you set config_vt=y,
> kernel will load the initramfs in the boot partition of emmc. I have made a
> image whose kernel don't support initramfs with a fake empty initramfs and
> noinitrd in kernel parameters. I wish the Mr.David's src won't have this
> problem.
I think his trees are wor for integration in linux-next.

While the code is way cleaner and won't have the problem you described it will
have other issues such as:
* No support for shooteru board(you will have to add it yoursel by adding a
board file or a device tree file, I don't know the current status of device tree
for msm).
That may require to get or build a serial cable specially for for your phone.
*incomplete drivers support: not all drivers you want/need for your phone are
in mainline or in linux/next, however there are some(I didn't look at it
extensively, so I can't tell how much, sorry) support for msm8x60.

Basically if you go the mainline road expect to have to do some work for
integrating the lacking drivers(that comes from your shooteru kernel) and for
adding a board file/device tree file for shooteru.
But that will get you a cleaner kernel for your device, and kernel experience
too. so it might be worth it.

Denis.