Re: fish names

On Wed 2010-02-24 13:52:53, Brian Swetland wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Pavel Machek <pavel@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >> I still fail to understand why there's a problem with naming the
> >> boards based on the names the development team for the device used.
> >> That these names happen to be fish instead of a collection of numbers
> >> and letters or some other codename seems unimportant.
> >>
> >> This really feels like an needless hurdle ("we don't like your board
> >> names") rather than a valid issue ("code does not compile", "code
> >> fails checkpatch / has style violations", etc).
> >
> > The code is grossly misnamed. Yes, that's pretty serious issue, more
> > serious than checkpatch, I'd say. This actually hurts the person
> > trying to read the code.
> >
> > Yes, people sometimes get a way with similary bad names -- mostly by
> > merging the code so early that by the time it gets good name, it is
> > already in vanilla tree. But a) you already missed that opportunity
> > and b) bad stuff in tree does not mean we should add more bad stuff.
>
> Again, I cannot understand how it's "grossly misnamed" when the name
> is the name the developers of the product named the product.

I know way more about HTC phones then average developer, and I'd still
need a cheat sheet to understand what the codenames mean.

> There are something like 3 orders of magnitude more "G1" devices out
> there than "Dream", for example, all of which are, under the hood,
> "trout"

(Actually that's not quite correct. I have HTC Dream with ADP1
branding, but I'd like to have "trout". AFAICT those had LED flash...)

And there are 3 orders of magnitude more people who understand what
"HTC Dream" means then people who know what "trout" means.

Type "t-mobile g1" into google, and see what happens. Type "HTC
Dream". Type "trout".

"tmobileg1" would be bad name for a board, but acceptable; unlike
trout. (It is operator's marketing name, not manufacturers, and
because there's more than one of those -- g1, adp1 -- HTC Dream would
be preffered. Also there's actually more google  hits for HTC Dream
than for t-mobile g1...)

> If the opinion of mainline linux is "we will not take your code because
> we don't like what you named your hardware", okay, so be it.

We are perfectly capable of running sed over the patches... but you
should be also capable of just running sed over your trees, and that
would be better for anyone.
								Pavel