Re: [net-next v1 09/16] page_pool: device memory support

On 2023/12/9 0:05, Mina Almasry wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 8, 2023 at 1:30 AM Yunsheng Lin <linyunsheng@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>> As mentioned before, it seems we need to have the above checking every
>> time we need to do some per-page handling in page_pool core, is there
>> a plan in your mind how to remove those kind of checking in the future?
>>

> I see 2 ways to remove the checking, both infeasible:
>
> 1. Allocate a wrapper struct that pulls out all the fields the page pool needs:
>
> struct netmem {
>         /* common fields */
>         refcount_t refcount;
>         bool is_pfmemalloc;
>         int nid;
>         union {
>                 struct dmabuf_genpool_chunk_owner *owner;
>                 struct page * page;
>         };
> };
>
> The page pool can then not care if the underlying memory is iov or
> page. However this introduces significant memory bloat as this struct
> needs to be allocated for each page or ppiov, which I imagine is not
> acceptable for the upside of removing a few static_branch'd if
> statements with no performance cost.
>
> 2. Create a unified struct for page and dmabuf memory, which the mm
> folks have repeatedly nacked, and I imagine will repeatedly nack in
> the future.
>
> So I imagine the special handling of ppiov in some form is critical
> and the checking may not be removable.

If the above is true, perhaps devmem is not really supposed to be intergated
into page_pool.

Adding a checking for every per-page handling in page_pool core is just too
hacky to be really considerred a longterm solution.

It is somewhat ironical that devmem is using static_branch to alliviate the
performance impact for normal memory at the possible cost of performance
degradation for devmem, does it not defeat some purpose of intergating devmem
to page_pool?

>> Even though a static_branch check is added in page_is_page_pool_iov(), it
>> does not make much sense that a core has tow different 'struct' for its
>> most basic data.
>>
>> IMHO, the ppiov for dmabuf is forced fitting into page_pool without much
>> design consideration at this point.

>> For now, the above may work for the the rx part as it seems that you are
>> only enabling rx for dmabuf for now.
>>
>> What is the plan to enable tx for dmabuf? If it is also intergrated into
>> page_pool? There was a attempt to enable page_pool for tx, Eric seemed to
>> have some comment about this:
>> https://lkml.kernel.org/netdev/2cf4b672-d7dc-db3d-ce90-15b4e91c4005@xxxxxxxxxx/T/#mb6ab62dc22f38ec621d516259c56dd66353e24a2
>>
>> If tx is not intergrated into page_pool, do we need to create a new layer for
>> the tx dmabuf?
>>

> I imagine the TX path will reuse page_pool_iov, page_pool_iov_*()
> helpers, and page_pool_page_*() helpers, but will not need any core
> page_pool changes. This is because the TX path will have to piggyback

We may need another bit/flags checking to demux between page_pool owned
devmem and non-page_pool owned devmem.

Also calling page_pool_*() on non-page_pool owned devmem is confusing
enough that we may need a thin layer handling non-page_pool owned devmem
in the end.

> on MSG_ZEROCOPY (devmem is not copyable), so no memory allocation from
> the page_pool (or otherwise) is needed or possible. RFCv1 had a TX
> implementation based on dmabuf pages without page_pool involvement, I
> imagine I'll do something similar.
It would be good to have a tx implementation for the next version, so
that we can have a whole picture of devmem.