Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-kernel] libsigsegv build fail with kernel 3.18.3

On Sun, 2015-02-01 at 17:09 -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 4:23 PM, Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > I prefer having the test inside mm_fault_error(), even if that makes the
> > patch a bit bigger, it keeps the logic in a single place. Untested
> > patch:
>
> I'm certainly ok with that, but I wanted to make the code that I
> wasn't going to compile (much less test) for various architectures be
> as simple and straightforward as possible.

Ah, I missed your reply ... my fault for using the wrong email address
to send my message in the first place :-)

> So feel free to send a patch that fixes it up to do it in a single
> place after testing it.

Ok sure, I'll have a look in the next few days, bogged down with some
local emergency right now.

> Of course, what I *really* want would be to make a new
> "generic_mm_fault()" helper that would do all the normal stuff:
>
>  - find_vma()
>  - check permissions and ranges
>  - call 'handle_mm_fault()'
>  - do the proper error, retry and minor/major fault handling
>
> and then most architectures could just call that.

That would be great ...

> Anybody willing to see if they could encapsulate that part of the x86
> code, and make it more widely useful? I say "x86 code", because that's
> the most tested one, and I think it gets the odd retry and error cases
> right (and minor/major fault counting etc), unlike some.

I can try to give it a spin some time this week I think, I can probably
do x86, powerpc and arm. Let's see if I manage to not forget :)

Cheers,
Ben.