Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-kernel] libsigsegv build fail with kernel 3.18.3

On Tuesday 2015-01-27 23:32, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 2:14 PM, Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Sometimes I wish `make modules_install` would run the compile stage as well..
>> just like `make install` does in autotooled projects.
>
>You should *never* compile things as root.

I certainly agree with you on that. So perhaps make throwing an error
instead would be helpful here - "hey there are uncompiled things
left, modules_install would give you nonmatching files".

>Sadly, I seem to be alone in my hatred of automake/configure/etc.

(Look no further than netdev if you need company.)

There are certainly points where it does not excel; however, in a
distribution where we have to deal with not just one idiosyncratic build
system, but 15+, it is the preferred choice to have especially if and
when it comes down having to edit the build instructions for one reason
or another.