Re: Do we use runtime patching of function calls somewhere?

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 02:16:00PM +0200, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> Do we have any archs that does runtime patching of function calls?
>
> On sparc32 we have infrastructure to do so but this
> requires an additional step after the final link
> that I like to get rid of.
>
> Basically what is required is to locate all
> call-sites that for example call:
>
>      cache_flush_all();
>
> and replace this with a
>
>     srmmu_cache_flush_all();
>
> sparc32 has ~30 calls that is eligble for runtime patching.
> sparc-next has seen some nice cleanup in this area,
> so your regular kernel has much more.
>
> We know early on the what to patch with as the only
> paramters involved are platform and MMU type.
>
> I could try to come up with something myself - but if we already
> have it somewhere maybe there is something to be inspired by.

Just a follow-up to all.
We decided to go for _ops structures for sparc32.

In one case we do runtime patching where we replace the
implementation depending on the platform.

It it 2 times 3 instructions - so nothing big and fancy.

Thanks for the feedback anyway!

	Sam