Re: [patch 0/3] Allow inlined spinlocks again V3

* Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> * Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Now, there is one advantage to inlining that I really like - and
> > that I personally have missed from the days when we used to
> > always do it: profiling. Inlining the spinlocks tends to do
> > _wonders_ for showing exactly which spinlock ends up being the
> > contention cases for certain loads. [...]
>
> We've got a new tool to determine that kind of information though:
> perf + call-graph profiling.
>
> This is how it works and how it can be used. Say we want to profile
> 'bw_tcp' from lmbench. The traditional way is to record a flat
> profile:
>
>  aldebaran:~/l> perf record -f ./bw_pipe
>  Pipe bandwidth: 4607.33 MB/sec
>  [ perf record: Captured and wrote 2.503 MB perf.data (~109368 samples) ]
>
> and then to view the flat profile:
>
>  aldebaran:~/l> perf report
>  # Samples: 109331
>  #
>  # Overhead  Command             Shared Object  Symbol
>  # ........  .......  ........................  ......
>  #
>     39.61%  bw_pipe  [kernel]                  [k] copy_user_generic_string
>     19.32%  bw_pipe  ./bw_pipe                 [.] enough_duration
>      6.21%  bw_pipe  [kernel]                  [k] mutex_spin_on_owner
>      3.54%  bw_pipe  ./bw_pipe                 [.] two_op
>      3.54%  bw_pipe  ./bw_pipe                 [.] one_op
>      2.79%  bw_pipe  [kernel]                  [k] get_page_from_freelist
>      2.16%  bw_pipe  [kernel]                  [k] ia32_sysenter_target
>      1.91%  bw_pipe  [kernel]                  [k] pipe_read
>      1.83%  bw_pipe  [kernel]                  [k] pipe_write
>      1.63%  bw_pipe  [kernel]                  [k] free_hot_cold_page
>      1.21%  bw_pipe  [kernel]                  [k] put_page
>      1.19%  bw_pipe  [kernel]                  [k] __alloc_pages_nodemask
>      0.99%  bw_pipe  [kernel]                  [k] anon_pipe_buf_release
>      0.74%  bw_pipe  [kernel]                  [k] get_pageblock_flags_group
>
> Annoyingly enough, mutex_spin_on_owner() is in the profile but we
> have no idea what the parent function(s) are. (Plus there's no way
> we could reasonably inline mutex functions.) So we are stuck with
> guessing which of the many other functions above (or some other
> function which does not even get listed!) has that mutex spinning
> overhead.
>
> But if you do the recording via call-graph traces:
>
>  aldebaran:~/l> perf record -g -f ./bw_pipe
>  Pipe bandwidth: 4432.75 MB/sec
>  [ perf record: Captured and wrote 7.550 MB perf.data (~329886 samples) ]
>
> (note the -g/--graph option) And then view the profile via perf
> report, we get:

sorry - mail got trimmed due to a cut&paste mishap. Here's the
missing bw_pipe profile:

 # Samples: 81007
 #
 # Overhead  Command             Shared Object  Symbol
 # ........  .......  ........................  ......
 #

     7.60%  bw_pipe  [kernel]                  [k] mutex_spin_on_owner

                |--99.97%-- __mutex_lock_common
                |          __mutex_lock_slowpath
                |          mutex_lock
                |          |
                |          |--98.46%-- pipe_write
                |          |          do_sync_write
                |          |          vfs_write
                |          |          sys_write
                |          |          sysenter_dispatch
                |          |          0xf7f4f430
                |          |          0x600000007
                |          |
                |           --1.54%-- pipe_lock
                |                     pipe_wait
                |                     pipe_write
                |                     do_sync_write
                |                     vfs_write
                |                     sys_write
                |                     sysenter_dispatch
                |                     0xf7f4f430
                |                     0x600000007

it shows that the mutex overhead is distributed between these two
functions:

                |          |--98.46%-- pipe_write
                |           --1.54%-- pipe_lock

I also wanted to show a more complex example, how spin-lock
overhead gets distributed in the networking stack, in a
"lat_tcp localhost" workload: