Re: [patch 00/41] cpu alloc / cpu ops v3: Optimize per cpu access

On Fri, 30 May 2008, Peter Zijlstra wrote:

> For one the fixed size alloction limit as pointed out by Andrew.

Ok.

> What this does is make a strong connection between data and concurrency
> control. Your proposed scheme weakens the data<->concurrency relation
> instead of making it stronger.
>
> One sign of that is that you replace things like get_cpu with explicit
> preempt_disable().

That is a side effect of trying to make transformation of source code
easily visible. Its not necessary if some changes are made to the code.

> We're trying to get rid of as many explicit preempt_disable()s as
> possible - in the light of -rt, preempt_disable() is as bad as the BKL
> in that its opaque - unrelated to a specific data set.

The cpu ops patches get rid of lots of preempt enable /disable and
get_cpu/put_cpu() because the per cpu address determination no longer
needs to be protected. See some of the other patches. Some code may need
to be a bit rewritten to take advantage. The SLUB fastpath f.e. (and
likely the page allocator too) can be done exclusively with CPU_OPS
thereby avoiding locks and preemption issues.