Re: + kernel-add-common-infrastructure-for-unaligned-access.patch added to -mm tree

On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 08:07 -0700, Harvey Harrison wrote:
> The reason I kept the byte-shifting versions around was that for
> arches that need special handling of unaligned access,

Are there any? GCC should emit appropriate code for the packed-structure
version on all architectures, shouldn't it?

> they could do the byteshifting manually and get the unaligned access
> 'for free' as it were.

GCC really ought to be able to sort that out for itself. Let the dog see
the rabbit.

>  The packed struct implementation works fine for the same endianness,
> but I tried to make this as little of a change for each arch as a
> consolidation step...which is why I kept the
> memmove variant.  We can discuss moving arches over to other
> implementations after the fact.

TBH I'd rather just provide the generic implementations (using packed
structs) then convert the arches to them one at a time.

--
dwmw2