Re: [rfc][patch] mm: use a pte bit to flag normal pages

> Currently, Linux is able to setup mappings in kernel space to cover
> any combination of settings.  However, userspace is much more limited
> because we don't carry the additional bits around in the Linux version
> of the PTE - and as such shared mmaps on some systems can end up locking
> the CPU.
>
> A few attempts have been made at solving these without using the
> additional PTE bits, but they've been less that robust.

Do these new ARM implementations use more bits than most archs?

Most ARM implementations can spare a PTE bit for this, right?  Is the
use of these 3 extra bits to cover a few buggy processors or is this
caused by consolidating the needs of widely differing architectures?

I just can't get over the idea that you _have_ use up all available
bits.  Oh well.
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-arch" in